Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Did God Really Say Don't Drink?

Relax. Don't shoot me down. I also just heard someone ask me whether it is written anywher that don't drink. Meanwhile, I wanted this title to be, "Did God really say don't drink and drive?" I guess that would have been a little too much. But yes, someone actually asked me whether it is written anywhere that we should not drink. they even quoted the famous "drink a little for you health (paraphrased)" direction given by Paul. Before i went on to tell them the many things I did, I told them that this was due to a health issue. Just as it is said in the following commentary by Barnes

"Timothy was yet but a youth; he (Paul) recalled his (Timothy's) feebleness of constitution and his frequent attacks of illness; he recollected the very abstemious habits which he had prescribed for himself, and, in this connection, he urges him to a careful regard for his health, and prescribes the use of a small quantity of wine, mingled with his water, as a suitable medicine in his case. The Greek word here used does not elsewhere occur in the New Testament.
But use a little wine - Mingled with the water - the common method of drinking wine in the East; see Robinson's Bibliotheca Sacra, 1:512, 513.
For thy stomach's sake - It was not for the pleasure to be derived from the use of wine, or because it would produce hilarity or excitement, but solely because it was regarded as necessary for the promotion of health; that is, as a medicine.

And yes, I continued to share the following scripture. But they are too many for me to share all. So, I will just decided to share with you an article I found useful
http://www.scionofzion.com/drinking.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment